Saturday, April 28, 2007

PCLINUXOS TR4 - Part 1

I have downloaded and burned the TR4 of PCLinuxOS and I am running it now on my normal Linux box, but, only off of the CD. The machine booted up without any problems and I logged into KDE like I normally do. My quick tests:

  • Web Browser - FireFox - Works OK, I am using it now to update this blog.
  • XSANE - Worked without a problem. It auto detected my scanner and I did a quick check there.
  • WebCam - This worked! The new version detected my Labtec camera in Kopete and when I tried configuring it the camera was actually showing images!
  • Printer - It detected and configured my USB printer properly when using the admin center. This is also a first as I had to download and install the SAMSUNG drivers for the ML2010 for it to properly work.
  • Java web game. It launched without a problem. The only problem is that the map in Runscape does not properly render, but, that has been a problem and it appears to be how makers of Runescape use JAVA and not Linux or Java itself. The game itself runs and is quite responsive even using this live CD.
  • Synaptic - Even though the CD has been out for a couple of days Texstar has already made a few updates. I ran Synaptic and it shows 8 updates are available.
  • Digital Camera - I didn't test this as it was in a different part of the house and I was too lazy to walk down and bring it up to test.
  • USB Memory Stick - It detected it been plugged in and asked what you wanted to do. It displayed the contents in Konqueror without any problems. I unplugged the stick and then plugged it back in and it still worked. There was a difference in TR2/TR3 in this and they appear to have to gone back to the original way of how it worked (much like how windows acts). There is no problem if you plug in two USB memory sticks.
  • USB Hard drive - It detected this and there was no problem with the external hard drive.
So far it appears to be a solid release and everything that I have that I tested worked without a problem. The next thing I will be doing in Part 2 is installing it on a test machine to see how it works there.

No comments: