I know that there are laws in the U.S . and other countries that purports to minimize spamming, but, how about the various government LEAs look at who is buying the spammers services and go after them rather than the spammers themselves as a start. FOLLOW the money people and nail the ones using the services and spam may drop to tolerable levels. SPAM will never go away, but, will go down to a level where 80% of my email is legit rather than 80% spam as it now stands.
A good number of messages now are for stock promotions. For a while I forwarded them to the SEC, but, most of them now are repeats of the same companies so I have stopped for a while. When I find something new I pass it on.
For everyone who are using Windows (or Linux or Mac OS for some of the below):
- Are you using a firewall?
- Are you using an anti-virus canner package?
- Are you using a spyware scanner package?
- Are you keeping your software up-to-date?
- Are you keeping Windows up-to-date using Windows update?