Saturday, February 18, 2006

Fried printer

It looks like my HP4L is fried. I got the machine about ten years ago and it has served the family well until today. The machine was showing its age and new cartridges are expensive for the printer ($125 Cdn). Yesterday during the snow storm we lost hydro several times. I have all of my equipment plugged into surge protectors, but, the printer still does not work.

I will try the printer on another computer later to verify that it is the printer and not the server that has problems. This gives me another excuse to look at a newer model printer for our home network. The price of cartridges also is a factor. The only upside is the last time I replaced the cartridge was August 2002.

Time to do my homework. I prefer laser, but, if it is not fully supported in Linux I will use an injet. Cost is another factor. A new printer is actually cheaper to buy than replacing a cartridge many times.

No comments: