Sunday, April 24, 2005

Quiet week

Now that the Linux box is back up and running the home network is again quiet and stable. The server is back on Windows98 and sharing the printer.

On the Distro side of things I am now looking at Minislack as a possible replacement for Mandrake. The part I like is that it is on one CD and not three. I will write another post when I convert.




My next project will be a new machine after the boys have finished their last semester of college and I have a few spare dollars. The new machine will be built to handle the requirements of scanning in photos and converting video. With that in mind I figure at least one gig of memory. The hard drive I figure to be around 80-120 gigs internal and I will flip the external 120 gig USB drive to the server.

I noticed that laser prices have been dropping. I see laser printers routinely advertised for under $200 here. For those of you who have ink jets check them out. I have an old HP4 that gets 3,000 to 5,000 pages per cartridge. The cartridge is about $120, that works out to about $0.004 to $0.0024 per page. Ink jets have a higher per page cost. It is something to think about if the majority of your printing is black & white.

No comments: