Sunday, August 18, 2019

Runescape old school and Linux

A while ago the Java plugin I was using in Pale Moon stopped working.  Nothing on the part of Pale Moon, but, the plugin isn't supported anymore.  That wouldn't be a problem except I play Runescape Old School on it and I was forced to use my Windows 10 machine until I figured out how to get it to work again.

I played around with various settings and even tried to launch it from the command line without any luck.  I then checked into the Runescape forums with the search on 'LINUX' and I found a thread (quick link 278-279-207-66116400) describing how to search for 'RuneScape Unix Client'.  I did a search on the web and found in GitHub a client.  I didn't want to try this on my main Linux box just in case, but, the Win10 box I am running virtual machine software and I had MX linux running on it too.  I followed the GitHub instructions (running as root for Debian) and when it was done I had a working Runescape client.  You do have to be patient (especially for getting the keys). 

There seems to be a difference in what I have in the VM and my main box as I couldn't find the Runescape client launch in the menu.  I realized that was the one machine I haven't moved to MX, but, ANTIX.  I had to do a backup of my documents and rebuilt so that every machine in the house works with one version of Linux.  Once it was working I installed the client and it worked...

RS Client with OSRS picked

OSRS Welcome screen

No comments: