Sunday, May 01, 2016

Double check your email address when registering anything

Looks like someone down in Florida bought a new cellphone.  How do I know?  As part of the registration they supplied an email address so they can get notifications, like their PIN number.  The problem is they used my account name and I got the notification of the cell phone number, plan information, PIN number, name, address.  I called Virgin Mobile USA and explained things and they started the process of trying to contact the customer, change the email address and lock the account from using my email account.  The person at the other end was very nice, professional and friendly and customer service is why I like Virgin Mobile.

This isn't the first time that something like this happened.  A couple of years ago I got a rather nasty, profane email from a woman in Ireland who thought she was venting at her ex.

For the Virgin Mobile phone I logged into the account as I wanted to make sure that I wasn't a victim of identity theft and they were using my credit card for their phone.  Fortunately it appears that I wasn't.

The thing is that when you register anything and they ask you for an email account make sure that you provide the correct one or someone else could be getting email that you don't want anyone else to get.

Main login

Checking to see if my Credit Card was used

No comments: