Monday, November 14, 2005

New Phishing variant

I received an email that looked to be from EBay. It was for a 'survey' and you get a $20 certificate. Reading it I noticed that it stated that I had an EBay account (I dont') so I forwarded it to EBay. I have just received a note back that this is a phishing attempt. The phishers are starting to get better, rather than say you have a security problem they ask you to fill in a survey. As a 'thank you' you get a $20 certificate.

Ebay has a few suggestions ->




In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to submit information such as your credit card numbers or passwords. If you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay, simply follow these steps:

1. Open a new Web browser and type www.ebay.com into your browser address field to go directly to the eBay site.

2. On eBay, sign into your account and click the "My eBay" button at the top of the page.

3. Check the My Messages section located at the top of the My eBay page. If an email affects your eBay account, it's now in My Messages. Any email sent to your registered eBay email address from eBay or from another eBay member via eBay's member-to-member communication system will now appear in My Messages.

Just remember, if you get an email to your registered eBay email address that looks like it's from eBay about a problem with your account or requesting personal information, check My Messages first. If it's not there, it's a fake email.

If you still have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay, please forward it immediately to spoof@ebay.com. Do not respond to it or click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or change the email in any way when you forward it to us.



No comments: