Sunday, January 01, 2006

New phishing variant

There is a new phishing attack that may catch some people by surprise. It purports to be from an E-Bay member looking for a payment for an item. There is a box at the right hand side at the start of the message with 'Respond to this question in My Messages.'. The link does not go to E-Bay, but, to 'all-design.com.tw' which is in Taiwan. When you get messages that purport to be from someplace like E-Bay, Paypal, Microsoft or your financial institution do not use the embedded link. Go to your browser and go to the site yourself.

Update:
I have received a reply from E-Bay and I will quote the first paragraph of their note:

We have reviewed your report and have found that the message you received was made to appear as if it had been sent by an eBay user; however, it was not. All email sent to you from other members through eBay's email system will also appear in the My Messages portion of My eBay. If you get an email to your registered eBay email address that looks like it's from eBay or another eBay member asking a question, check My Messages first. If it's not there, it's a fake email.

No comments: